Sunday, November 4, 2007

Welcome, Great Pumpkin.

My apartment smells so good right now, like cloves and cinnamon and nutmeg. There is no time of year I enjoy more than the run-up to Thanksgiving and Christmas, and nothing ushers in the season for me like the first round of baking.

This weekend, I decided to kick things off with pumpkin apple bread from the (excellent, indispensable) Gourmet Cookbook. It's a quick bread, like banana bread, so it's just about the easiest thing in the world to bake. (Brownies come in second, but since you have to melt the chocolate, they do not take the championship title for simplicity.) You just mix everything together (OK, there's a bit of sifting involved, too), dump it into loaf pans, and bake it for about an hour - though in my hot oven, it's more like 45 minutes.

So go for it - if my results are anything to go on, your house will smell like fall in no time.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin