Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Kickin' it old school.

I spent Christmas at my grandmother's house in Florida this year. She very generously agreed to let me devise the menu for Christmas dinner, and I decided that sticky toffee puddings should make a second appearance in as many weeks.

Now, at home, I work with a KitchenAid stand mixer, a piece of equipment that has become pretty much standard issue for home cooks - and, particularly, bakers - these days. Nonie (that's my grandmother), however, never saw a reason to replace her vintage-fabulous Mixmaster.

At first, I was frustrated - the bowl was too wide to cream the single stick of butter and 2/3 cup of sugar effectively, and I ended up doing things by hand. Then I discovered the second (deeper and narrower) bowl - aha! So, the lesson? Always explore the depths of the cabinet before giving up, and never assume that something as adorable as the Mixmaster can't be practical as well.

2 comments:

RS said...

What a gorgeous machine! Having sold my KithenAid over a year ago- I do agree, though- a large stand mixer is a very valuable piece of equipment!

Meg Blocker said...

Isn't it cool?

Yeah, I love my KitchenAid - it makes pretty much everything ten times easier.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin