Monday, February 15, 2010

Blast from the past.


OK, kids. Here is a lesson in preparation.

Remember way back when in April when I reminded you of the virtues of ramp compound butter? My personal stash (a ten-inch log stored in the freezer) has been very good to me over the last eight months or so. I've used it in pastas, tossed bits of it on top of lamb chops & steak, and spread it on toast to give sandwiches some extra oomph.

This past weekend, I used a bit of it to make the most delicious green peas I've had in ages. I was having lamb chops for lunch and wanted to have peas alongside (I always keep a bag of Birds Eye in the freezer). I contemplated mashing them, but then remembered how delicious ramp butter was with lamb, and decided it would also be great with lamb-accompanied peas.

And I was right! The ramp butter lent the peas a slightly funky flavor, and the different greens of the ramps, parsley and peas looked so beautiful together. A pinch of salt helped everything sing.

Without further ado, then, I present what is pretty much the easiest recipe of all time - or, at least, the easiest recipe ever to appear on this blog. Enjoy!

Peas with Ramp Butter

1 cup of good quality frozen peas
2 tbs. ramp compound butter, cut into a few bits
Pinch of kosher salt
1 tbs. finely chopped flat leaf parsley

Place the peas in a small saucepan and fill with just enough water to cover. Set the pan over low heat for a few minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't quite simmer. Cook the peas until they are very warm (since they've already been cooked, you're really just reheating them).

Drain the peas in a strainer or colander and return to the saucepan (but turn off the heat). Add the compound butter, salt and parsley and toss to combine. Once the butter is pretty much melted, taste the peas, adjust for seasoning and serve.

Serves two as a side.

2 comments:

A Bowl Of Mush said...

Yummmm, buttery peas :)

Meg Blocker said...

I know, right? Can't go wrong with buttered peas.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin