Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sometimes, it just has to be done.

Generally speaking, I'm pretty good at turning down sweets. My cravings tend to run in the salty/greasy direction (bad Chinese, fried chicken, Pirate's Booty), but, every so often, a need for cake worms its way in.

Last Sunday, just such a craving hit me like a sack of bricks, and I decided to assuage said sack with a marble cupcake from Two Little Red Hens. Conveniently located about half a block from my Yorkville apartment, it's an adorable bakery specializing in traditional American treats. They have ridiculously good maple scones, beautiful cakes, and witty frosted cookies (featured on Sunday: hot dogs and watermelon slices). They also make a mean iced coffee.

The marble cupcake was good - especially the cake part, which was white sponge swirled with chocolate. The buttercream was tasty, but a bit too cold from the fridge. It just didn't give enough, and as a result broke off in little pieces. It was a bit like eating (really, really) buttery fudge. That said, it did hit the spot.

So, is it bad that this was my dinner on Sunday night?

3 comments:

Louisa Edwards said...

I don't like cake; I prefer pie. I guess I'm just more European in my tastes, liking pastry better.

Meg Blocker said...

Ah, European palates. I hope Miles reads this, the snob. ;-)

Meg Blocker said...

I should also add that I tend to order pastry more often in restaurants, but I don't ever crave it in the way I do cake. I think it's because cake is like sweet bread, so it satisfies two cravings at once. This is my hypothesis.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin