Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Julia makes me cry.

OK, confession time.

I just watched the preview for Julie and Julia, and I cried. Not a lot, but enough.

The movie is based on two books. One is a book that inspired, moved and still drives me (Julia Child's My Life in France), and one is a book that made me go, eh (Julie Powell's Julie and Julia).

Nora Ephron has taken both books and adapted them into one movie. It stars two of my favorite actors (Meryl Streep and Amy Adams), and it'a story about two women (one in her 40s and one in her 30s) finding themselves in the kitchen.

And so, despite my dislike of Powell's memoir, that's still a movie I can get behind, sight unseen. Though you probably won't want to come with me, since it appears I'll be blubbering away half the time.

Enjoy.


5 comments:

Louisa Edwards said...

Dude! You didn't even like Julie & Julia, I thought. Although everyone who has a heart not made of corrugated iron loves My Life in France, so maybe it balances out.

Louisa Edwards said...

Oaky, I cried, too. WE ARE SAPS and must watch this movie together.

Meg Blocker said...

Yeah, I did not love Julie & Julia, though that was mainly due to Julie Powell's writing style and personality, not the conceit of the book.

Given that this is the luminous, hilarious Amy Adams? I'm willing to give it a go.

And, you're right - the soul-filling goodness that is My Life in France soooooo outweighs anything else, ever.

Also - I think this may open while I'm visiting you in July/August!

Abby said...

Yeah, I watched it at my desk at work yesterday afternoon and had to struggle to keep it together. I can't wait!

I haven't read the book, but I sort of don't care. For what it's worth, I also never bothered to read The Devil Wears Prada, the cheeseballiest of all recent cheeseball 20s-in-NYC movies, and I still loved it.

Jen said...

Looks brilliant, a must see for sure!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin