Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lemony lemon goodness.

Once every couple of weeks, I give in to temptation and pick up dessert at Two Little Red Hens. Usually I spring for a cupcake, or maybe a cookie - but last week, I noticed a new item on offer: a lemon mousse tart.

Since this is an American bakery, it's rare to see anything (aside from chocolate mousse cake) with "mousse" in the name. There are pastries, to be sure, but they're usually of the apple pie variety - or blueberry, in the summer.

My curiosity piqued, I ordered one to go. Once I'd finished my dinner (a penitently healthful green salad with grilled chicken), I pulled the tart out of the fridge and sat down to enjoy it.

From the bottom up: a buttery, crumbly tart shell; a rich, not-too-sweet lemon curd; a light, impossibly airy lemon mousse, more akin to a rich meringue, as opposed to a heavy mousse; three strips of candied lemon peel.

In a word: fantastic. Brava, Hens!

2 comments:

Jen said...

This looks and sounds delicious! I'm so glad we live in the same neighborhood, so that I can go try the yummy things you stumble upon. Thanks for sharing :)

Meg Blocker said...

You bet! Can't wait to hear what you think!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin