Thursday, September 2, 2010

Meatless Week: A worthy substitute.

On Saturday, after a gorgeous afternoon spent wandering the city, I met my brother and sister in law for an early dinner at 5 Napkin Burger. I know - a burger restaurant seems an odd choice for Meatless Week, but I'd heard very good things about their veggie burger, and was craving something slathered in pickles and special sauce.

5 Napkin goes for a meat-like veggie burger; the red color, I'm guessing, comes from beets, and the thing is huge, and chock-full of lentils, beans, and probably lots of other good sources of vegetable protein. And it's very, very tasty.

Seriously - I'd still order this now, even though I'm back on the meat. (I had sushi today, and it was mah-velous.) I especially enjoyed the toppings. I've never been much of a purist when it comes to my burgers, and I liked that the 5 Napkin folks included both house pickles and house sauce - maybe it;s my Francophile side, but I've always loved mayonnaise in concert with, well, anything.

Vegetarians and omnivore-veggie-burger-lovers alike, get thee to 5 Napkin. Good beer list, too.

5 Napkin Burger
2315 Broadway
Between 84th and 83rd Streets
212.333.4488

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin