Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sorta healthy...kinda.

Those Momofuku cookies I made meant buying some oatmeal, something I don't typically keep around the house. FreshDirect only had a giant size on offer, so now I have enough oatmeal to last me from now until the end of time. In the dual interests of a) not wasting food and b) satisfying my sweet tooth without resorting to snorting marshmallows, I decided to make some of that oatmeal into a dessert.

I cooked half a cup of oats in a cup of boiling water (I turned the heat to low and added a pinch of salt when I added the oats to the pot), stirring occasionally, for about five minutes. Then I plopped the oatmeal in a bowl, dotted it with unsalted butter, and topped things off with a sprinkling of dark brown sugar.

Believe me when I tell you that this is one of the most satisfying desserts I've had in a while - and it's rich in fiber, too. Not too shabby.

4 comments:

LOST PLUM said...

snorting marshmallows is one of my favorite things to do!

Liz Jones-Dilworth said...

I have an idea for your mountains of oatmeal. I just learned a new way to have whole grains in the morning--the savory route. I was skeptical until my friend Alistair made it for me.

Instead of sugar and butter, try a dash or two each of olive oil, flax seed oil, and soy sauce. Flax seed oil (which has omega-3s) has a unique, nutty flavor. I found it in the refrigerator case of the vitamin/herbal medicine part of my grocery co-op.

It's actually a really satisfying breakfast, and takes almost no time to prepare. I've had it with bulgar, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with oatmeal too.

B

CityMouse said...

When I have tons of oatmeal in the house I like to make a baked oatmeal. I find it so much more satisying han regular oatmeal because it has a cakier texture. Is cakier really a word? Hmmmmm.

Meg Blocker said...

@Lost Plum: Right? It's not even illegal!

@Liz: Wow, that sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a go.

@CityMouse: Cakier is a word in my book. Baked oatmeal...I like it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin