Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A walking tour.

On the Wednesday of my staycation, I took a little walk through the West Village. I started out with lunch at Chelsea Thai (technically just north of said West Village), then made my way south and east. I encountered loads of goodies and pretty things along the way. Have a look!

First, while still at Chelsea Market, I took a peek into the mini Jacques Torres outlet across from Chelsea Thai. The chocolate chip cookies looked tempting, but I had another treat in mind.

Cherry blossoms were in full bloom along Hudson Street. Pretty, and so short-lived - the floral equivalent of spring in New York.

I passed Myers of Keswick, a charming little shop fully stocked with all kinds of goodies from the United Kingdom. The price of curing homesickness may be a bit steep, but ex-pat Brits in New York tend to flock here in any case in search of Lyle's Golden Syrup and authentic Cadbury chocolates.

I stopped into Chocolate Bar in desperate search of one of my own favorite treats: their milky-satly-pretzel bar. But, sadly, they were out! Cue my pout and change of direction to the east.

Typical West Village townhouses on Jane Street. I'd move here in a heartbeat. Anyone care to subsidize? Hmmmmm?

At the corner of West 4th and Bleecker, I stopped into the original outpost of Magnolia Bakery (they now have stores in Midtown and on the Upper West Side). While I'm not a huge fan of their cakes or cupcakes (too sweet, chewy instead of moist), I do love their little 75-cent chocolate chip cookies, though, so I bought one of them and kept on trucking. (But not before snapping a shot of their gorgeous mason jars full of sprinkles! I love this photo.)

Eventually, I made my way over to Washington Square Park, where I lounged in the sun, read a book, and generally enjoyed the fact that I had nowhere to be at that particular moment in time. Now that, my friends, is luxury indeed.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

What a glorious day. Thai, chocolate, flowers, and a book?

AmyRoto said...

the West Village is one of my favorite places to walk through. everything is so picturesque -- great shots!!

Amy :)

Meg Blocker said...

@Lisa: It was absolutely gorgeous!

@Amy: Thanks so much! It's easy to photograph such a lovely neighborhood, right?

Unknown said...


Beautiful blog about travel. If you want to travel to NYC or Manhattan and want to have an awesome boat tour or a ride in jet ski, please contact us from the links below

The most important things about new york city water tour services is that you can enjoy something new with some of the best tourist locations in the country. There are always better opportunities and options with New York city tours that turns out to be the best services of recent times. Carry along all your loved and special ones to all exotic and special places of the country

Blog Widget by LinkWithin