Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Marketing.

I went to the Union Square Greenmarket for the first time in more than a month on Saturday; I've been frequenting the smaller St. Stephen's Greenmarket up near my apartment, but I'd missed the diversity and selection of Union Square - especially the apples.

Nowhere is the change of season more evident than in the Greenmarket's evolving produce.

Late-season tomatoes are hanging on by a thread, but corn has completely vanished. Berries have been completely displaced by apples, and zucchini has been supplanted by acorn and butternut squash.

Carrots come in every color of the rainbow, and cauliflower abounds in similar variety, most excitingly the Escher-like romanesco.

And while I know I'll be totally sick of squash and tubers come March, I'm pretty excited about them right now.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin