Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Garlic and parsley and capers - oh, my!

Meatless Week may be over, but I didn't have any meat for dinner on Monday night, and these mushrooms are to blame. Smitten Kitchen posted about these a few weeks ago, reminding me of my intention to make them for ages and ages now.

You see, these mushrooms are made in the style of escargots de Bourgogne - roasted on high heat and smothered with lots of butter, garlic, capers and parsley. After all, the butter left behind once the snails have been eaten is always the best part.

These mushrooms are, in a word, delicious.

Seriously. Not only are these pretty much the easiest thing you can make, they are also freaking phenomenal. I ate mine with some crusty baguette and a glass of red wine, and I honestly can't think of a better supper on a cold winter night.

Roasted Mushrooms de Bourgogne
Republished from Gourmet, via Smitten Kitchen


1 lb. small mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed (I used cremini, which were large and needed to be quartered.)
2 tbs. capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbs. vegetable oil
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tbs. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and place the oven rack in the center.
In a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish, toss together the mushrooms, capers, garlic, oil and several grinds of black pepper. Dot with the butter and roast for 15-20 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and a bubbly, golden sauce has formed in the bottom of the pan.

Remove the pan from the oven and toss the mushrooms with the lemon juice and parsley. Serve immediately, preferably with a loaf of crusty bread.

Serves two. No, really - you'd think the recipe would serve more, but they're just too damn tasty.

5 comments:

Mushrooms Canada said...

... you had me at mushrooms & butter... throw in a baguette and I'm done! :)
- Brittany

Louisa Edwards said...

You have been thinking about these for a while! Didn't you say something about it at Chez Nous? Glad they were so delicious! They look fab.

Meg Blocker said...

@Brittany: I've already ordered another baguette and pound of mushrooms from FreshDirect. Mushroom heaven, thy name is Sunday afternoon.

@Louisa: Yes, I was thinking about them at Chez Nous! They are just as dreamy as I'd envisioned. Cannot wait to make them again...

Renee {Eat.Live.Blog} said...

I am drooling over this! You had me at capers...

Christo Gonzales said...

mmmmmmm - thats all I can come up with.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin